Monday 16 April 2018

Proposals to Outsource Libraries in Herefordshire.

In Oct 2016 and then again in Nov 17 Herefordshire CC issued a 'Soft Market Test' for their museum, library and archive services. Basically this is to gauge market interest before making a final decision to outsource/privatise.

It now looks as if the council are ready to push ahead with the process with Halo Leisure Services Ltd, The Courtyard Trust, GLL (Greenwich Leisure Ltd) and Vision Redbridge Culture & Leisure Ltd in the running but concerns and doubts have been expressed in a recent article and council submission by the campaign group Joint Action for Herefordshire Libraries and by Cllr Gandy, a Tory, who not only mentioned the Carillion scandal but said;

"What evidence is there that outsourcing will produce the savings required and by how much?"

As far as I can see the council is looking to cut £65k in the current financial year from the Libraries budget so from these figures and the fact that the council has been pushing the community-led model over the last few years it looks as if the decision to privatise libraries will be an ideological and not a fiscal one, which in my experience is more than often the case.



3 comments:

  1. Hi alan , this has come through from unison, thought you should add your name
    If your library convenor would like to be added to our libraries mailing list, please ask them to send their name and email address to me at libraries@unison.co.uk .
    This new mailing list will only be used to send emails concerning library work. Occasionally, I may have a query that’s specific to libraries. It would be useful to be able to consult directly with UNISON library professionals to gain their insight. It is not my intention to overburden activists with yet more emails so communication will be occasional.



    UNISON is currently conducting research into the impact of volunteers in our libraries, lobbying politicians and preparing for a library demonstration in the Autumn. I’m hoping that having this direct contact with our library activists will help us with this important work. Many thanks.
    let me know,
    gary - hackney gary.chaplin@hackney.gov.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post, I agree - why not just have both? When I wanted to implement my erp system I had to outsource someone to do it for me, but now I'm creating my own, small IT section ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your content is nothing short of brilliant in many ways.I think this is engaging and eye-opening material.Thank you so much for caring about your content and your readers.

    Mobile App Development Company in Dubai

    ReplyDelete