Shocking new proposals for Barnet Libraries just released, for full report see;
· 46% of workforce to be sacked
· Redundancy payments will cost £1.5 million
· 71% of panellists, 88% of questionnaire respondents opposed the reduction of staff opening hours
· Council are now proposing to cut the 634.5 staffed library hours a week to 188.
· Under the proposal Libraries will initially be required to open for only 15 hours a week, with or without staff
· Four Libraries, Childs Hill, East Barnet , Mill Hill, and South Friern will be run by volunteers
· The Library Proposal is to cut Library costs by £2.85million by 2019/20. The present budget is £4.5 million.
· Phase one of planning for and changing the library service has been estimated at £399,300
· Phase Two will cost £750, 000
· It is estimated that “reconfiguring libraries to release space” will cost £2 million.
· The cost in introducing technology that allows unstaffed opening will cost £2.41 million,
· This means that at least £6,560,300 will be spent implementing changes to the Library Service with the rationale of saving £2.850,000